Friday 17 January 2014

Forgotten War Graves Remembered 7

On this day in 1918 Private William Henry Heeks of the Royal Scots Fusiliers died. Other than the details on his headstone I have been unable to discover anything further on this soldier. He is slightly unusual in that he was 46 when he passed away. If anyone has any information on Private (Fusilier?) Heeks please get in touch.



Surname: HEEKS
First Names; William Henry
Rank: Private/Fusilier
Service Number: 7903
Corps: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Age: 46
Date of Death: 17/1/18
No other information available




1 comment:

  1. Hello. William Henry Heeks was my great grandfather. My grandfather, Charles Heeks, was his son. You can find more details about William on the Commonwealth War Graves Commision website. It is stated on his burial records that he died of phthisis aged 46. I have heard, from my father, that William was a metalworker and grinder by trade and that he died of 'grinder's rot' - a nickname for respiratory problems brought on by years of breathing in grinding fumes and dust. I'm trying to find out more about William, but I haven't found much more yet. Kind Regards, Richard Heeks.

    ReplyDelete